Dawsonville Baptist Church was constituted in the year 1854 AD. The very early church records were destroyed by fire in 1928, at which time church clerk Grover Taylor reconstructed the Articles of Faith, which served until 1985 when conference ratified the correct Constitution and Bylaws, which established the name The First Baptist Church, Inc.
For the first almost ninety years, a one-room structure accommodated all services, which consisted of Sunday School, and two monthly preaching services. Building expansion plans that began in 1939 realized fruition in the form of a new facility that included a sanctuary and four Sunday School rooms – almost debt free – and first used August 31, 1943. Very soon, the note of indebtedness was burned at a Sunday A.M. service, although such event is not recorded in minutes. Facility improvement programs followed in 1955, 1968 and 1988. The church took a bold forward step when, with the calling of Rev. Hugh Fields as pastor, full-time services were begun.
In any historical sketch of a church, note must go to the integral contributions of pastors. With apologies of any omissions, a list of pioneer pastors who have served follows: Before 1928: J.R. Stone, G. Marion Taylor, D.J. Burt, Pink Moss, Henry Wood, Rev. Poore, Firman Williams, H. H. Humphries. Since 1928: W.E. Patterson, G.W. Forrest, B.J. Faulkner, J.T. Bell, Henry Warren, J.H. Boling, Ford Phillips, C.B. Gazaway, Hugh Fields, W.D. Lawes (interim), Grant Fennell Minor Martin, Tommie Gene Smith, Minor Martin (interim), Ray Rhodes, Dr. Robert Green (interim), Dr. Alan D. Hix, and Dr. Jim Gaines.
A visionary step was taken in 1998 when the leadership and members of this church felt God calling them to provide a larger facility of worship and ministry for the growing and changing county. The church called Dr. Jim Gaines as its pastor to lead the congregation in realizing this vision. The church purchased 9 acres less than two miles north of the downtown facility in 1999 and an additional 3 acres in 2001 for a total of 12 acres. After three years of much prayer and careful planning, a groundbreaking ceremony for the new facility was held on July 8, 2001 with completion scheduled for early fall of 2002. Our new facility has a 750-seat worship center, a fellowship hall, ample classroom space, and an office suite.